Mom's Brisket of Beef
The best Jewish brisket ever! I was raised on this. Every holiday, there was a brisket. My friends would clamor for an invite to dinner when brisket was on the menu. They still do.
Write a review
- 1 3-4 lb Brisket of Beef
- 1 lg Onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Vegetable Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic (sliced)
- 2 cups Baby Carrots
- 6 Red Bliss Potatoes (washed and quartered)
- 2 Tablespoons Hungarian Sweet Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 8 Tablespoons Ketchup
- In a 5 qt, deeo dutch oven pot, saute onions and garlic in vegetable oil until clear.
- Reduce heat to medium and sear brisket on all sides. Sprinkle with salt and paprika, and drizzle with ketchup.
- Place the potatoes and carrots on top.
- Sprinkle again with salt and paprika, and drizzle with ketchup.
- Cover and let simmer on low hear for 1.5 hours
- Remove and slice brisket, then return slices to pot
- Let simmer uncovered for 2 - 2.5 hours
- I have adapted the recipe so that I can make it in the slow cooker. Recipe here: Slow Cooker Brisket of Beef
Hull's Kitchen http://www.hullraiser.com/wordpress/